12.17.2012

An Amani Liberia Christmas Party

Amani Liberia recently hosted a Christmas party in our center. The members, their families, and several local Amani friends all arrived on a recent Saturday to celebrate the birth of Christ and a remarkable 2012.

The evening was celebrated with a contribution from each member. Victoria and Annie G. spearheaded preparation for several delightful Liberian dishes (rice, vegetables, fried chicken, and cake). Izetta, an aspiring singer, wrote a song entitled “Amani Liberia”, which she performed in sunglasses, a lapa suite (skirt and top cut from the same bright African cloth), matching heels and a spunky attitude. Austin and Ellis played the drums. Theresa, the evening’s host, introduced each event with a smile and quiet confidence.

Each Amani member was presented with three gifts; a sewing box, a Christmas bonus from Amani supporters across the United States, and a live chicken from the Redland Baptist Church of Maryland, Virginia.

Theresa, the MC
Ophelia and part of her family
Hannah, Liberia's Country Director, with Wilson, Ophelia's son
Annie with her chicken, a gift from Redland Baptist Church (Maryland, Virginia)


Here is what Amani Liberia members have to say about their Christmas party:

The party was fine*! I just want to thank the Amani family for the chicken and letter I received.”- Regina


“Amani is good! The gift you give me is fine! The chicken---its good. I finished eating it.” -Yei

“The Christmas gifts satisfied me, satisfied my whole family. My daughter loved the box. I will raise the chicken so it can get big and provide for me. I will get more and add them up. I will never eat my chicken---it will provide fine-fine babies.” -Ellis, who gave his sewing box to his daughter

“The Christmas party was too beautiful! When I opened the envelope, I was happy about what was inside! I carried my chicken home. Christmas day, I will eat it! Amani is too good. Tell the Amani family hello!” -Patricia

 “I enjoyed the celebration because we sang songs, they divided up food, nobody went home without food, everyone ate enough. My children were very happy. I am happy for my chicken. I will eat it, but not now---I will feed it until Christmas. I will put my earrings, my chain, and small-small things in my box.” Ophelia

 The Christmas party brought joy to my life. I was very proud. I was very happy to receive the gifts among people that day. (The sewing box) is a joyous box! When I set it on my table it, it beautifies my room! I loved the chicken gift. My father came to visit, so I killed the chicken and we ate it. I explained that Amani gave me the chicken and he was really happy. My father is proud of me and very happy I am at Amani.” -Darlene


*”fine” means “beautiful” or “lovely” in Creole-English






No comments:

Post a Comment